Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The cost of applying...

Ivy3 called, yet again. This time, they asked for clarification regarding my nutrition class. They want me to send a syllabus. I wish Ivy1 and Ivy2 would pay half as much attention as Ivy3 does... I also received a financial aid packet from Ivy3 - how discouraging. It read something like this..."no teaching assistantships"..."no graduate assistantships"..."no work study"...
ooooooooooo kay. Let's hope things go better with 1 & 2...

As for Ivy1, here is how much this process is costing me so far for this particular school:

Application fee: $65
Airfare for required interview: $225
Hotel accommodations for interview: $176
Transportation from airport to campus: $95 (campus is 1.5 hours away from airport)
Spending money: let's guess at $75.00 (I have to pay to eat for 3 days)

Grand Total: $636.00

I expect the same fees for Ivy2, less than a month from now. All I can suggest to you future applicants is to SAVE, SAVE, SAVE ahead of time. If you can't get the money together, call and ask for a phone interview - I know someone who was recently granted one, and the scheduler said that it was not an uncommon request.

No comments: