Thursday, July 05, 2007

First Day of Community Health Clinical

We, the students, arrived at 8am. What time did our preceptor arrive?

9:20, all surprised that we were there. I was so frustrated. And then she tried to be sly and ask us what our understanding of what we were supposed to do on a daily basis was. Huh? We don't know, why don't you tell us! She was so unprepared. And then she said she would only see us for the first few days and then would be taking a vacation for the next couple weeks. I asked "So, you won't be here when we finish this rotation either?" Her reply? "No." She didn't even know the basics of our schedule.

How can this be?

Another nurse, an RN, who made a much better impression than she did, is going to help us. You know what I think? I think the RN should get the title of *Ivy* Instructor and the pay, too. This is an example of my school taking advantage of a nurse. They are paying our preceptor because she has the advanced degree - even though she is not going to be there at all...while the RN gets nothing for her time - not even the right to say she officially precepted students.

My classmates are all over the place, in the states, in South America, South Africa, and New Zealand to name a few. I am starting to wish I were, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just - wow. That sounds incredibly frustrating.