Saturday, October 07, 2006

Clinical Week 3/Exams

I got honors on the first Pharm exam, but I think I failed the first Biomed exam. But word around the school is that everyone failed it, so I don't feel bad.

Clinic for Week 3:

I pretty much broke down. I swear I hate clinical. It was my week to do a full interview (5 pages of questions) to complete a "big" careplan (more detailed than the usual weekly one) and my preceptor assigned me to a patient that could not speak. (Laryngectomy with disfunctional voice prosthetic due to anesthesia). He also had no gag reflex, but no one had checked that before assigning him to a "normal" diet. So he was eating his french toast and sausage , which wasn't really going down, but he was so numb he didn't know it wasn't going down, and I noticed him choking. I came over just in time to catch every ounce of puke he threw up. French toast, sausage, orange juice, and coffee. Eww. Then I gagged and almost lost it. All of this tunred into my first full bed bath, which I was dreading.

In other news, I am wondering about how midwifery fits into the nursing model. I am going to have to do some reading about this, because the fit doesn't seem to be a good one so far...

1 comment:

KHP said...

What a day. Thank goodness you were there for him when he needed you - imagine how awful it would have been for him had you not been there to help him.

Hang in there. As I recall, my first few clinical experiences were pretty rough. It gets better.