Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Observation Week

I did not have clinical this week. Instead, I had observations. Yesterday I went to the cath lab and saw an angioplasty and stents inserted. Today I went to GI and saw colonoscopies and EGDs. It was great couple of days away from clinical (but at this point almost anything would be a great day away from clinical).

Monday morning our class had a meeting with the director of our program that was supposed to be about our study abroad rotation in July, but ended up being a meeting about nothing. They simply weren't prepared for the meeting. They had no news to share about study abroad, and basically spent the whole meeting trying to convince us to stay in this god-forsaken city for our community health rotation - despite the fact that they didn't have a list of places we could possibly do this rotation in the city. So what exactly did they have? A sheet explaining how we could find our own rotation for this last clinical. Unacceptable. Why? Because two of the very strong selling points of this university were "global opportunities" and not having to "find your own clinical." And, at $45,000 for the year, I expect you to be prepared for every meeting that you call - and if you're not, say that, and then cancel the meeting. But I was pleased that I did not have to be the angry black woman and bring all of that up, one of the men in our class did a very good job being angry for all of us, speaking is mind and receiving a round of supportive clapping from the class that said "we agree with what he's saying to you, lady." Of course she handled it like a true politician, saying she understood our concerns and would really attempt to get right on it. Ha ha. My only comment was to ask for an agenda to be emailed the night before the meeting so that we would know what was to be discussed and could make a decision as to whether it was worth getting up 2 hours earlier to attend. She said "I appreciate your comment." I said, "That doesn't answer my question." She followed, "I will send out an email." Great.

In other news, I have my 2nd Med Surg Exam tomorrow morning. I'm not as worried about it as iwas the first because it's over diabetes and its complications, renal disease, and peripheral artery/venous disease - all of which I knew something about before coming here. That hasn't reduced the studying any, but it has reduced the frustration.

No comments: