Monday, October 16, 2006

Odds and Ends 2 (or Three)

I spent the weekend tending to myself as much as possible (outside of a test review session on Saturday, studying for a couple hours each day, and a million freaking flashcards).

Friday, I skipped happy hour and went to a film festival at a museum to see a documentary. It was an excellent film about a family trying to move out of some housing projects into their own home. It really was excellent. It made me think about the mentality of poverty and how if you're only used to people taking advantage of you, how will you ever trust anyone enough to allow them to do something really positive for you, like help you buy a home. You're always looking for the catch. And usually there is one, but not always. It made me wonder how come more programs like the one featured in the film (home-ownership programs) were not being utilized if they cost less than public housing to run. In the back of mind I hear "conspiracy," but I am trying to not see it that way because that leaves a sinking hole in my stomach and that's the last kind of feeling I want to deal with right now. It's one of those "call to action" type things, and I just cannot be called to any other actions outside of nursing school right now!

I also finished last season's Desperate Housewives so that I was all caught up for last night's episode, and watched one of my new favs, "Brothers and Sisters." I should take a minute to talk about my disgust at the images of black men on Desperate Housewives last season, but I don't have the energy.

I also had a very interesting conversation with someone about judgement this weekend. Ever since I got here and have been vocal about not liking a local specialty food mart (ie; organic, health mart) people have taken that as license to discuss what they perceive my eating habits to be. This ticks me off beyond belief. So now it's all about Kool-Aid jokes (one of the items I mentioned I couldn't get at said specialty mart) and how me and my husband are gonna die of diabetes (a recent lecture was on diabetes and DKA) NO KIDDING, someone actually said this to me. Needless to say, I went off. I had been keeping my mouth shut because I didn't want to be defensive about it, but once you think you can tell me when and how me and my husband are going to die, all bets are off. So, I got on my soapbox. Is this how you're going to talk to your patients? If so, say goodbye to continuity of care because I guarantee you they aren't coming back to your office. How do you know what my health outcome is before you've even asked ONE question? How do you know that my Kool-Aid isn't sweetened with Equal or Splenda? How do you know that 2 quarts lasts me a week and a half? We have to be very careful about making a diagnosis about someone just by looking at them! "Well, it's also genetic, so since you're dad has it, so will you." Careful, careful, I do believe that in order for me to aquire a disease *genetically* I must be *genetically* related to the person...I am not *genetically* related to my "dad" (because he's my stepdad) and if you had of taken the time to ASK me ONE question, you might have known that, and thereby been able to keep from putting your foot in your mouth! So, that's what the hell I'm dealing with in my classmates.

Like I've said a million times, I miss fat people. Brown people. Poor people. I hope they all contract Ecoli from their lettuce and spinanch. LOL Nah, I'm just kidding, but I do hope they learn to be less judgemental...

No comments: