Thursday, January 25, 2007

Papaya Uteri, Race & Media Invasion


A great workshop was ruined by the media. It started very slowly, as people introduced themselves (mostly medicine and nursing - all grad level) the occasional undergrad would introduce him or herself and they would be journalism or political science majors. At first we were glad to have the diversity; I think these folks belong at the abortion discussion table. But then their questions and incessant scribbling started the buzz, and when we began to actually do the hands-on portion of the workshop, the cameras came flying out - including video cameras! I did get to practice once, but this pretty much ended the workshop for me. I can't stand to have strangers taking my picture without my permission, and I definitely do not consent to being videotaped by someone with their own video camera.


And, I've reached my limit with the university, in general, trying to sneak pictures of me and my friends for their diversity campaigns! Did I mention this in another post? I can't remember, but at any rate it's happened quite a few times. I really do leave as soon as people bring the cameras out - especially as the number of instances that make me feel like I'm an impostor on this campus increase...Did I mention the case of mistaken identity that happened a few weeks ago? Well, while at the nursing school - in my school sweatshirt - with my school ID hanging around my neck - with my bookbag on my back - leaving the computer lab...I was somehow mistaken for a member of the cleaning crew. Yep, for real. There was some internal struggle as I wanted to correct this person without giving the impression that I don't respect the cleaning crew or other "blue collar" workers, especially since on some days it is their faces, their smiles and laughter, and their speaking to me that makes my day. But at the same time I want people to have to face their issue about me being here to study just like Suzy...

And yet another incident just yesterday: I went to one of many libraries on campus that has like a million very important, one of a kind texts that are under heavy security and for the use of students and faculty only. I walked into this library (for the first time) and asked about the current exhibit (which is open to the public) and also about seeing, touching, admiring the first edition Morrison's The Bluest Eye. This man looked me in my face and said that although I could walk around and look at the exhibit, it would be "impossible" for me to see the text or enter the research basement because that area was for "scholars only." I said to myself, "THAT is what it felt like to hear "Whites Only." I was taken aback, yet again. (It surprises me when I am surprised because one would think I'd get used to it) I said to him "Oh, and I am not a scholar?" He backtracked quickly of course, but "And aren't I a woman?" replayed in my head a million times.

When is it going to end? Or when will I be blind, mute, and deaf to it? Curse you - thou who held my hand and walked me into knowing awakefulness...Geesh, I didn't ask for it! By the way, how do I turn it off? LOL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disgusting. What is wrong with these people? For the record, a former classmate of mine who is also a woman of color had a similar thing happen to her in the rare books room of a large university library. She was in the process of earning her PhD at said institution and found that whenever she needed to use the rare books, the librarian in charge would follow her to the room and watch her like a hawk THE ENTIRE TIME. Wasn't too long before she figured out NONE of the white students were EVER watched this way when they used the rare books. Disgusting.

minority midwife said...

As irritating as it is, and as much as I'd like to think that it isn't happening to all of us, I must say it's somewhat comforting to know it isn't just happening to me!

Thanks for your comment!
LP

kati b said...

wow - this PR thing is wild. I've recently come to a Big University from a community college and the overall culture (or lack) has been so bizarre. Most of what I've been noticing is the just walking around campus differences, but i'm sure i'll never look at another piece of promo material the same.