Friday, June 02, 2006

Spanish or Africa?

I can't decide. I will be studying abroad at some point during my graduate career, and I must choose between working in a spanish-immersion type of environment, or in some part, probably South, Africa. I have been learning French for most of my life, and have never taken a Spanish course. However, I do realize the absolute necessity of learning Spanish as a health care professional. I will take some Spanish courses, but I know from personal experience (and my undergraduate linguistics focus) that immersionis the best way for me to really learn a language. This is why I am considering the Spanish option.

But...I have been wanting to go to Africa for a while now - especially a french-speaking area. The reasons are varied: It seems Africa, as large as the continent is, is forgotten in this world. I really want to go to a place where I can look into the faces of the people and see myself. Yes, I have been able to do this with many different cultures, but I just have a feeling that this will be different...I also want to go to a place where dark is beautiful and big is, too.

Do I choose Spanish, which will be a little more useful long term, or Africa which will also be useful, but also self serving?

No comments: