Monday, June 12, 2006

Studying for the Waiver Exam

I have received the syllabus for the A&P class offered at my new school so that I can study to test out of the class. It seems pretty straightforward, and I feel like I should be able to test out of the class. I really want to test out so that I can have at least a little free time to spend with my husband my first semester. I am worried that I am moving him to a new state without any friends or family nearby and that he's going to be all alone while I'm studying 24/7...

Right now I'm setting up a study schedule based on the syllabus and committing to set study times for the next 2 months. I am also gathering the resources I used over the past year in A&P. So that's how I'm going to study.

Anyway. I've been having an interesting ongoing conversation with a friend of mine about going into private practice as a midwife vs. working for a hospital. I am pretty sure that I will work for a hospital, which she, rightfully, calls punching someone's clock. But what's more interesting to me is that I have no desire to have the full responsibility of owning my own practice, even though I obviously have an autonomous mind. (Midwives have great autonomy and personal responsibility, whether they "punch a clock" or not.) I cite not wanting to be on call every hour of my life for the next 20 years as one of the reasons to not go into private practice and I think it's a legitimate concern. But at the back of my mind I can't help but think that I might also be lazy and insecure in my ability to own my own practice, which really, really bugs me...

No comments: