Thursday, December 08, 2005

A Call From Ivy3

Ok, so my third-choice school called me today! It turns out that I did the essay/essay question portion of the application wrong (ie. read "different") and they wanted me to fix it and send them a revised copy via email. Apparently, I was supposed to write a "goal statement" *separately* from answering the essay questions. AND, I was supposed to answer the essay questions in this form:

1. Type the QUESTION here
(answer here)

2. Type the QUESTION here
(Answer here)

ect.

What did I do? Well I wrote an essay. But not just any essay - a super essay! LOL. I answered all the questions in essay form and clearly (and cleverly might I add-----> thanks H.) embedded my "goal statement" within the essay as well. The woman who called me said that while my essay was "beautiful" and "glowing" they (the reviewers) really "won't know what to do with it" because it doesn't follow the traditional form. See, we applicants get graded on each piece of writing separately, and even each question individually. So the form above makes for easy scoring. What's my point in sharing all of this with you? Here it is:

I think this was my first experience with having to change my natural way of doing things to fit this more analytical/scientific/formulaic way of doing things. I am such an individual. Why must I conform and mutilate my essay? I rather liked the idea of having the review committee see my essay and say "now here's a person who knows how to move fluidly from one idea to the next in a coherent, almost lyrical, way."

LOL.

Yeah, right.

Let's be real...I am oh-so-happy that they called to give me the opportunity to fix it, instead of saying "Oh, she must not know how to follow directions" and leaving my application to chance! So I am off to break apart my piece of art that I worked so hard on and make it a glowing (albeit formulaic) new piece. Wish me luck...

1 comment:

The new Third Degree Nurse said...

Nice blog! (Right after I hit 'send' I remembered the book, The Bluest Eye and figured out your screen name. I'm a little S-L-0-W these days.

Get ready for the focus on the very heavy focus on form, protocol and detail in nursing school. There seems to be a "correct way" of writing every paper even if it makes no sense. This is the opposite of a liberal arts education, in which creativity was applauded. Not that creativity in problem solving is not appreciated, especially on the hospital floor. However, standard procedure is everything, and the applications for school are indicative of that.