Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Clinical Placement/Med Math

I missed the revolution. 3 of my good brown friends got the same clinical rotation! I don't know how that happened. But anyway, I got a tough preceptor...so far I have been told "She's tough, you'll learn a ton." and "Try to switch now before it starts." LOL. I'm keeping her (not that I have a choice, no one wants to switch with me). The brown girls got our actual lecture teacher as their clinical preceptor (the same woman I was raving about at the end of the last post). They will work on a general trauma floor. Their plus is *consistency*. I have been assigned to a cardiothoracic floor (people coming from heart surgery or similar). My plus is getting to know a new personality type. It's a plus. It's a plus. It's a plus. By the end of the day I'll believe it.

Oh: A preceptor is the nursing student's clinical teacher. So, when I am in clinical (on the hospital floor) she checks all my work and gives me the Pass/Fail grades. Also, I follow her around to see how to do what I have to do. Or something like that.

In other news, I just survived 1.5 hours of MED MATH. Gosh, there's a lot to know. Too many conversions. Too many formulas. Pure confusion. And what's the consequence of making a mistake...hmmm...probably DEATH. How's that for math anxiety?

Nursing school, ya gotta love it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You will very seldom ever calculate on the floor.. That's the beauty of the pharmacist! I HATE math with a passion. Chemistry and Statistics almost killed me and I never use either one for my job..