Saturday, September 30, 2006

Weekend Thoughts

I'm glad the pharm exam is over. Just to have the first one out of the way is nice. I am now studying for biomed which I went to a review session for today. The review session was helpful, but probably would have been more helpful if I had of read before hand, but where's the time. Last night my normal happy hour group went out for our routine Friday evening happy hour, but about 15 more nursing students ended up joing us. Did I mention we went yesterday, too? Lot's of drinking going on. One of my dearest friends (optometry student) started drinking more when she started her program, and now I understand why. There's so much tension, there's gotta be a release. At least the drinks are only $2.50 and there's free food to soak it all up. That, and we can walk to our place if need be. Once a week can't hurt!

We are going to finally furnish our apartment this week. Ikea here we come! I think I am going to try to do something fun and post a before and after of our living room makeover. I've always wanted to do this! I love HGTV design shows!

I remember that I was suppsed to tell you about Week 2 clinical:

Week two was better than week one in some ways, mainly because I had women patients, and I found them much easier to deal with. On the other had, I also had two patients this week because my first patient went home the first evening, which gave me a new patient for day 2 of this week. This was a huge headache. Twice the work. And, I got called out to give report (basically you sum up a whole careplan in 5 minutes or less) and I had only known the patient for a few hours. But I'm glad I got it over with and I don't have to do it again for at least 6 weeks. This weeks patients both had triple bypass surgeries and heart valve replacements. I learned a lot about the heart this week, including that you can live without a tricuspid valve! (The tricuspid valve separates the right side of the heart into a right atrium and right ventricle).
I did get somewhat frustrated with one of my patients' insistence on calling blacks people "colored" and her mixed nieces and nephews "mulattos." Sometimes you just have to look 'em dead in the eye and say, "for real?" And then they say "no offense." Well, if you must add no offense after it...it's probably offensive.

No comments: