Monday, April 09, 2007

Test Anxiety

I'm in one of those moments where I can't compartmentalize things they way I like to...like family in one box/part of my brain...school in another...and personal in yet another...everything is just running together and I hate it! I think life is supposed to be integrated, but my life has just never been that way...I've always had my party friends, my serious friends, my smoker friends, my school friends, my religious friends, and on and on and on who I did different things with at different times and who I talked to about different things, but lately it's all just running together and it makes life complicated...it feels like I do the same thing with everybody, everyday. And that everybody is NURSING STUDENTS. I need to spend some time with some non-neurotic everyday people...ok, maybe not "non-neurotic" since very few of my real friends aren't neurotic, but at least with some people who know and talk about something other than nursing...us nursing students like to think that we do, but in reality we're very self-absorbed with what we're learning...preferably, I would like to talk to more people on street-level...I haven't even found a black bar for goodness sake! I also want to put something else into my brain. I've been studying for my Maternal Newborn Midterm for the last two weeks and I still don't have a grasp on the information...there's just too much of it. We had an open-book, online quiz and I still missed two! How does that happen? Brain burst. I'm so sick of the material, I read stuff that isn't even there, anticipating the next word or phrase because I've read the notes so many times. I have tried switching mediums, ie: working on the CDROM that came with the MN textbook and going through flashcards, but I'm still sick of looking at it, even though I haven't mastered it.

During study breaks I am reading "The Birth House" by McKay and it's a pretty good, laid back read so far. Wednesday I am having another Sex in the City watch-a-thon with my study partner and friend (season two, in it's entirety) complete with the same Caribbean food we ordered last time, and I'm going to work on these braids in my head that haven't been touched since Christmas break...

No comments: