Thursday, July 27, 2006

A nice bed and food in the kitchen,

that's what my desire for our new home has dwindled down to.

Taking my husband into consideration, I'll add "and a big tv."

I want to simplify. I am thinking of giving away most of my little library. I really shouldn't be hauling all of these books with me, and I haven't figured out how I would anyway. What are the chances that I will read them again? How many of the clothes in my closet do I actually wear? And how many of the shoes? How many plates, cups, glasses and bowls do two people really need? Why do we have 8 place settings? I've never had a table big enough to seat 8 people. How many bath towels are too many? Some of it is inherited, my grandmother is the ultimate domestic. But I also think I've become a slave to American consumerism, and it's bothering me. Would I want red walls if I didn't spend so much time at Target or watching HGTV? Why can't I wear a uniform - blue jeans and a white tshirt - every single day? If I knew, for an absolute fact, that no one was going to visit me for an entire year, would I care if my towels matched my shower curtain or if my sheets matched my comforter?

Probably not. Why do I still care, despite the fact that the only people who will ever be staying at my house are the people who already know me intimately anyway? Part of it is that I'm trying to create "home." A sense of permanency that we have never had since getting married. I want to have a sanctuary to come home to at the end of the day, and that includes walls that don't look like institutional walls. Ok. That's all fine and good, paint fixes that. But what about this other stuff? How much does it have to cost me before I feel like I'm home? Can I really feel like I'm at home in a home without books? Why isn't home wherever me and my husband are? Why isn't home anchored inside of me?

My husband has his belongings down to one suitcase. One damn suitcase?! Why can't I do that? I am going to do that. I am giving myself ONE SUITCASE for my belongings.

I'm letting go of the clutter.

I will embrace simplicity, and hopefully gain some clarity along the way.

4 comments:

Pamela said...

hey...

I think there has been a huge shift in the number of CNMs being employed over the past three years. Part of this could be a natural progression of burn-out, but I feel like many MDs hired CNMs initially because it was good business sense.

Having a CNM on staff means the office can take on more patients, have someone in charge of well-woman care and leave complicated or surgical cases to the MD.

The shift has happened with malpractice insurance, requiring many MDs to still be on call in-house with CNMs attending. While being on-call isn't always an issue (they usually are), being in-house is an issue. Plus, there's a perceived (I'm saying it's a far stretch) "risk" associated with a CNM vs an MD.

I have read big articles about the shift over the past couple years, and I'm going to look them up for you. It doesn't mean the out look for CNMs is dim: just the opposite. I think that once things get bad enough, the tide will start turning again.

What do the CNMs you know and read about say?

maryann said...

of anything, you CAN'T give away your books. tho, if you have any potential orphans after your move, you can direct them my way ... my apt is a home for wayward stories. :)

curiouschick said...

Wow! 1 suitcase...I'm impressed. We didn't even do that really in Quebec. :) Good Job!!

minority midwife said...

sage femme: i think i emailed you about your comments??

maryann: thanks for commenting! i ended up selling just enough books to mail the ones i really loved!

big chick: i went a little over (smile) but not by much really! it was really, really tough though!