Saturday, June 09, 2007

Community Health Midterm

I spend a lot of my nursing school career at the bottom of the class. It's a frustrating place to be. For our community health midterm the scores ranged from 73-98. A 74 is passing. Guess who got the 73? Prime example of how going to class isn't what makes a grade - I go to this class every day, I hardly go to Peds and did 15% points better on that exam. I am not an auditory learner, in fact I think class is a waste of time when the teacher is reading from PowerPoint because I could read that whole lecture in 20 mins, and then start working on memorizing it and get a lot more bang for my 2 hours, especially since we don't have class discussions (which I like). My professor will be surprised by my grade because I am the person in class who actually reads all the articles. Twice before the grades were posted she said "I'm sure you did great!" I said, "the grade I get is never an indication of how hard I studied" and it's true. Yeah I know, it's not how hard you study, but rather how effectively you study. By the time I figure out how to study for each class, the class is over! But my grade on this test is the result of studying at the last minute (the last few days before the exam instead of the day the class started) and not knowing what to expect or study because I had never taken one of her exams before. Also, I didn't study for this exam with my study partner, and I think that made the difference.

It's moments like these when I think, there is no PhD in my future because I am just t-i-r-e-d of school. It's raining and all I want to do is wrap myself in a quilt and read something tinted black.

2 comments:

kati b said...

Oh yes - I know this feeling of not figuring out how to study for this class's tests until the final. It's so frustrating to go into the exam and feel like I have a lot of knowledge about what I think is important to know about, and then come out of the room, and still feel relatively okay, and then stand around with folks and one by one, the questions that I felt good about, slip into the "I probably missed that one" category.
It's even worse summer semester - the 84 that I just got means I will have to bust ass for a C in the course because of the short semester and only two exams.

sigh. npr keeps having those summer reading recommendation lists on, and i've been turning them off faster than a pledge drive, because I know better than to pick up a book right now.

SNM YEAH!!! said...

so feeling you, after this program I'm thinking I need a break before going for the masters. But something keeps pushing me 'cause I know if I stop it's a wrap.