Monday, June 04, 2007

Tyranny of Choice, etc.

My community health professor used the following quote in class. I can not find the source to know more about its use in its original context, but I really like it.

"Personal behavior patterns are not simply 'free' choices about lifestyle, isolated from their personal and economic context. Lifestyles are, rather, patterns of choices made from people according to their socioeconomic circumstances and the ease with which they are able to choose certain ones [choices] over the others."
~Milio

I emailed my teacher to get the source.

I just found my topic for the annotated bib required for Pediatrics. This article was published in the New York Times yesterday, and I found it interesting. I found enough articles about kindergarten redshirting in some form or another, and so the work begins-half of which is learning APA format. Most of the few points I missed on my issue paper came from improper use of APA which I have never used before. (I used MLA undergrad) I guess I'll have to buy the style manual even though I don't want to spend the money on it.

What would have been nice is to be able to do an annotated bib on a topic related to my praxis/thesis but because I am in peds now I can't really do that because of my potential topics for thesis are clearly maternal newborn issues and my professor was anal about us not doing a bib that related to maternal newborn issues, my midwifery peers who are in maternal newborn right now are getting a huge jump start on their praxis projects. Why wouldn't you want all students to start working on things that really interest them and that help them with their praxis? It's just a little irritating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a really good APA style manual, but I also use this plug in for Microsoft Word - it sets up the APA formatting for you, and it's saved me a few times.

http://www.perrla.com/

BTW, I've wanted to stop by and say how much I appreciate your blog and your writing, it's very honest and I'm glad you take the time to share your experiences.

minority midwife said...

Hey thanks for the resource!!! (and the compliment)

LP